Emergencies Happen…And When They Do, We’re Here for You
Frozen pipes are a cause for concern—and burst pipes are an emergency. No matter what you’re experiencing at home, Tonna Mechanical is available 24/7 to step in and help. If your pipes have burst and you need immediate assistance, call our emergency line at 507-205-2873.
What Should I Do When My Pipes Burst?
First and foremost, turn off the water. If you don’t know where the main water shut-off valve is located, it’s most likely near your water heater or in your basement or crawlspace.
Once you’ve turned off the water, run all of the faucets to drain the remaining cold water from the pipes. Then, flush all of the toilets in the house.
If there’s a lot of water or the leak is located near an electrical appliance, turn off the electricity and wait until our team arrives to fully assess the situation.
How Do I Know There’s a Problem With My Pipes?
When you’re standing in a pool of water, it’s abundantly clear that your pipes have burst. But what about when you notice something unusual about your plumbing, but you aren’t sure whether you should call a professional?
Burst pipes can usually be traced to a small problem that worsened over time. That’s why even the smallest change can indicate a problem that needs to be addressed.
You’ll want to call a professional if you notice any of the following with your plumbing:
- Slow and uneven water supply. If you’re experiencing changes, such as low water pressure, uneven pressure or no water flow at all, your pipes could be frozen or cracked. Low water pressure can also lead to drain clogging, so, no matter what’s causing the low water pressure, you’ll want to have it fixed by a trained professional.
- Fresh water marks on the walls. Here in Southeastern Minnesota, most plumbing lines run behind the walls and through the ceiling. If you notice new water marks or dampness on the walls, this is a clear sign the pipes are leaking somewhere.
- The water is rust-colored with a foul odor. This can indicate your pipes are corroded or deteriorating and will need to be repaired or replaced.
- A pool of standing water. Even if there’s not a lot of water, you’ll want to call a professional immediately. A break in the water main can lead to puddles in your yard and even a sinkhole.
Contact us online or call us at 507-205-2873 if you notice any of the above in your home. The sooner you have the problem fixed, the less likely you are to face expensive repairs or, in the worst-case scenario, premature replacement.
What Causes Pipes to Freeze?
Pipes can freeze for a number of reasons, but the most common causes include:
- Improperly insulated pipes
- Water hammer, i.e., the movement of unsecured pipes which weakens the pipe joints
- Fluctuating water pressure or high water pressure
- Deteriorated pipes due to rust or hard water corrosion
Tackle Frozen or Burst Pipes With Tonna
Don’t wait until you’re standing in a flooded home to call a plumber. If you see water where it shouldn’t be or notice anything unusual about your plumbing, call in the experts at Tonna. We’ll assess your plumbing and tell you exactly what’s going on so you can make an informed decision for your home. To schedule frozen or pipe burst repair for your home in Rochester, MN, or elsewhere in Southeastern Minnesota, contact us online or call Tonna Mechanical at 507-205-2873 today.