At Least, It Is With Us
While plumbing systems can last for years, the time eventually comes when portions of it need to be replaced. This process is called repiping and it’s especially common in older homes. Whole-home repiping may also be required when your system is severely damaged and can’t be repaired.
When Do I Need to Repipe My House?
Since you can’t see most of the pipes in your home, it’s tough to know what’s happening and what needs to be done. This is where our highly experienced and trained plumbers at Tonna can help.
We use advanced diagnostic equipment to examine your pipes and quickly pinpoint the issue. But how do you know when to call a professional in the first place?
You likely need to have new pipes installed if:
- Your home is more than 50 years old. The older your home is, the more you want to stay on top of the plumbing. Galvanized steel pipes, which are found in most older homes, have an increased tendency to corrode or burst. Whether you’ve purchased or inherited an older home or you haven’t had the pipes inspected in years, you’ll want to err on the side of caution and call a plumber if you notice anything unusual.
- Your water pressure is low, despite previous repairs. If the water pressure in your home is low, even after a thorough drain cleaning, this can indicate a problem with the pipes. The natural buildup of minerals and rust might be causing your pipes to deteriorate.
- Your water has turned a red or brown color or tastes/smells different. Red or brown water is typically a sign of rust in your plumbing system. Rust, as you might guess, is a sign of aged, corroding pipes reaching the end of their lifespan. Bad-tasting or foul-smelling water can also mean that the pipes have corroded.
- Your pipes are constantly leaking and need repair work. The occasional leaky pipe can be fixed with a simple repair. But if leaks start to become a common occurrence in your home, you might need to have the pipes replaced.
How Much Does Repiping Cost and How Long Does It Take?
The cost to repipe a house depends on a number of factors, including:
- The type of pipes that will be used for the replacement
- Whether it’s a partial repiping or a whole-house repiping
- Where the access points to the plumbing are located
During an on-site estimate, we’ll take a close look at your plumbing and share all of the costs with you upfront. We’ll also give you a number of different options and work with you to develop a solution that’s “just right” for your home and your budget. Though we always share our professional recommendation, this is your home and therefore, your decision.
The duration of the project will depend on the size of your house and how the plumbing was first installed. It may take longer if we come across issues from a previous plumber that should be corrected. Don’t worry. We’ll never perform any repair or replacement work without your full understanding and approval. Typically, repiping will take one day for a two-bathroom house and longer for a three-bedroom house or a two-story house. After evaluating your plumbing in-person, we’ll be able to give you a much better idea of how long the work will take.
Pipe Up and Protect Your Plumbing With Tonna Mechanical
Repiping a house is essentially laying a new foundation for your plumbing. That’s why it’s crucial to choose a company that’s highly experienced with this type of work. We’ve been repiping homes for decades and know what it takes to ensure a flawless job. Let our expert plumbers set you up for success with new, durable pipes that will serve you well for many years to come.
To schedule a repiping estimate for your home in Rochester, MN, or elsewhere in Southeastern Minnesota, contact us online or call Tonna Mechanical at 507-205-2873 today.